Monday, August 8, 2011

First Day of School!


Today was the first day of school! Boy was it eventful! I was already a little nervous about being the "new" teacher at the high school, but I felt pretty confident this morning on my way to work.  I was told by my department chair that we had to be at work at 7:15 (nothing different from Arizona), but that I better get there early if I didn't want to get stuck in the traffic.  Well I got there this morning at 7am this morning and the front parking lot was almost full! There were also kids being dropped off already.  

After I walked in my room and started to unpack some of my stuff I remembered that I needed to check my email to see if my copy code was given to me yet.  I still had to photocopy my syllabus for both classes, parent contact sheet and first day activity.  I was starting to freak out at this point!  Luckily my nice department chair, Connie, had emailed me and told me to go to her room when I read my email.  She was nice enough to help me copy all of my papers this morning.  She "taught" me how to use the big high school copiers.  :)  By the way the copy room was pretty busy and I had to wait to use them.  Plus one of the machines was eating the paper. 

After this little trip to the copy room, I went to hook up my computer to the LCD projector.  Mind you I had barely received the LCD and document camera at the end of Friday.  So I had not hooked it up because I had to bring an extension cord to school today.  (Luckily I remembered to grab one.)  As I opened up the camera document box I realized that I only had the power cord and no connector to the LCD projector.  I started to panic because I needed my computer for my back to school power point.  So once again I run to Connie's room to get some help and luckily she found one in a box.  I now felt better because I at least would be able to connect to my computer.  I would just have to get another one later.  Well as Connie helped me connect the cord, another lovely teacher gave me another cord and I now have TWO!  Once again the stress level decreased immensely.   I was even able to join in on the "pow wow" that most of the math teachers were having outside the classroom next door.  

Some of you might be thinking..."Wow, you did all of this before school started at 7:30?".  Well it just happened to be a late start day today.  :)  That means first period didn't start until 8:30. Lucky for me because when I finally finished all of this it was 8am.  :)

Now how did my classes go you ask...well they started out fine until 2nd period.  I had two boys start to argue over nonsense.  I understood one of the boys, the other boy was talking and trying to act cool.  This class is going to be a challenge.  I have already had a couple boys give me smart remarks.  By the way the majority of the class is full of boys. 

Lastly I got a little sunburned out at cheer practice this afternoon.  

I just hope that my days get better from here on out.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment